The Curtis Bay Fire Hall
|In Curtis Bay the first reel company was organized in 1893 and located at the foot of Cherry Street as part of the frontal property of the Car Works. Later additional reels were located in the back of Isaac Wheaton's home on Pennington Avenue and at the corner of Beach and Pennington on the southeast side. The largest and latest of all the stations which became part of the Town Hall was built in 1909 and located on Fairhaven Avenue and Filbert Street. Here, also, as in Brooklyn, Mr. William G. Gischel and his neighbors formed an association and stock was subscribed to finance a large, but handpulled fire apparatus. Curtis Bay was fortunate in that it never had to use wells or pumps as fireplugs were readily available for any of the four reel companies. The Town Hall later was to become the Firemen's Hall and then the Polish Home, by which name it is still known. The Curtis Bay School #208 used this hall as well as the Curtis Bay theatre, for some of its graduation exercises|
This page last updated October 13, 2009.
|Written and Edited by||Transcribed by|