| At the bottom of
Church Street hill, at the red light, stands Griber's Grocery Store. The store, as it
stands now, has been in business on the same corner since 1926. In 1907, Mathew Griber and
his wife Eva, operated a bakery on Cherry Street and Curtis Avenue. Both of them were
immigrants from Lithuania. Mr. Griber baked the rich, delicious breads and doughnuts that
so many of the people in the neighborhood were used to having in their native country. Mr.
Griber and his two sons delivered bread in the area by horse and wagon in good weather,
and horse and sleigh when snow was on the ground. The sons, Joseph and John, at that time,
not even in their teens, delivered by the time the sun was up and then went to school.
After the first quarter of the century, the bakery was rented to other people and Mathew
and Eva built the building which now stands.
They opened a dry good business and in 1929 the decision was made to convert to a grocery store. The Griber family has been in business for sixty-nine consecutive years in the community.
|Today - Bay Area Antiques|
This page last updated October 13, 2009.
|Written and Edited by||Transcribed by|