Grube's Grocery Store
| One of the
families who contributed to the growth of Curtis Bay was the Grube family. John Grube came
to Curtis Bay in 1894 and set up a grocery and meat store. Here, while raising a family of
eight healthy and productive children, he and his wife served the community, meeting the
needs of several ethnic groups in the area. Mr. Grube extended credit, delivered
groceries, and even furnished advice and counsel to the requirements of an almost one
hundred percent foreign born group of customers. Mr. and Mrs. Grube spoke all the ethnic
tongues of their customers, Bohemian, Polish, German, Russian and Lithuanian.
While helping in the store, the children attended the local schools and grew to be among the most useful and creative citizens of the area. Martha and Minna taught at the local Curtis Bay School while Emma worked in the office of a nearby industrial plant. Edward and Wilhelm carried on the father's business while Otto and John Ludwig had their own business. The youngest son, Henry, served in the Maryland Legislature and later was employed at the Baltimore Courthouse.
The store closed its doors forever in 1974, when with the ill health of Wilhelm and the coming of large, sell everything, supermarkets, business declined. However, the name of Grube in business and in the community will long be remembered in this historic town that has given America so many products of good living.
This page last updated October 13, 2009.
|Written and Edited by||Transcribed by|