Among the early settlers of Brooklyn, was Conrad H. Lieman, who purchased land on the northeast corner of what is now Hanover and Pontiac Streets, in 1864.
Conrad died in 1874, leaving his widow and four children. This parcel of land contained a beer garden, a pool hall, a grocery store, saloon and other buildings. The property remained in the Leiman family until sold in 1925. The grocery store was in continuous operation during this period, however, the advent of prohibition in 1918 closed the beer garden and saloon.
Following the death of Conrad Leiman, the property was inherited by his wife, nary,and then in turn by her son George W. Leiman.
George W. Leiman was not only a business man, but also the constable for Brooklyn. From the time of his death in 1892, the business was operated by his wife, nary Jane, with the help of her children, Charles J. Clara Dull and George W. Jr.
Mrs. Mary Lieman's two sisters were married to men who also operated businesses in Brooklyn. One brother-in-law owned Acton's Park, a picnic and amusement park in the Brooklyn area. This park was used for short time by the Baltimore baseball team until Blue Laws prohibited the playing of baseball in the city on Sunday. The second brother-in-law operated the Walnut Springs Hotel which was located approximately where Patapsco Avenue has been extended west. This hotel was a popular resort in the 1890's.
This page last updated October 13, 2009.
|Written and Edited by||Transcribed by|