Curtis Bay Water Tank
|| One of the most
remarkable features of Curtis Bay, was its large, black, water tank, which stood like a
sentinel atop the hill, overlooking the town. It was constructed in 1893 by Mr. David R.
Steele, an official of the Monarch Engineering Company, on Curtis Avenue. A group of civic
leaders, consisting of Messrs. William G. Gischel, George Chenowith, John P. Lerp, James
Bannon, Isaac D. Wheaton and George C. Schimpf, comprised the committee that planned the
construction of the tower.
From artesian wells, water was pumped into the water tower from a pumping station at Curtis Avenue and Filbert Street. In 1930, the old tank was torn down, and a circular steel plate tank was constructed. The roof was umbrella type, supported entirely by the side wall of the tank.
In 1932, plans and specifications were drawn up for an ornamental enclosure around the steel tank. A beautiful, well constructed structure was erected; a piece of masonry, with hand selected face bricks of different shades, made by U.S. Clay Products Kilns, and designed by Frank O. Heyder, architect.
In the latter part of the 1990s Baltimore City saw fit to provide this local landmark with a "facelift". Hence by the debut of the new century Curtis Bay's high ground showed off its new look:
This page last updated October 13, 2009.
|Written and Edited by||Transcribed by|